13 Dec 2013
Following the voluntary winding up in 2012 of Deckchair Theatre Company and Thin Ice Productions, Culture and Arts Minister John Day approved reallocating the $380,000 in funding provided to those companies to the small to medium theatre sector in support of the presentation and/or development of local theatre productions.
As an interim measure in 2013, the Department of Culture and the Arts (DCA) provided the funds to two projects, the Theatre Works Grants Program and a playwright development initiative ‘Page to Stage’, which is being managed by Stages WA.
The Department is now in the process of contracting an independent theatre consultant to begin a consultation process with the professional theatre sector to determine the preferred method or methods of reallocating this funding in the future. Applications closed on Tuesday 10 December.
Consultation will begin early in 2014 and is expected to be complete by the end of February when an options paper will be provided to the Minister and the Department for consideration.
The consultancy will be conducted in four phases:
- national consultation;
- one-to-one-conversations with the State’s recurrently funded theatre companies; Stages WA and Australian Writers Guild (WA).
- three focus groups; and
- provision of an options paper to the Department and the Minister.
The three focus groups will include:
- Independent theatre sector including companies, directors, performers, writers, designers, and production technicians;
- Presenters including the Blue Room, AEG Ogden and its venues, the State Theatre Centre of WA and Subiaco Arts Centre, Perth Theatre Trust, Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts, Performing Lines (WA), Artrage, Country Arts WA and the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre; and
- The audience. The companies and service organisations taking part in the one-to-one conversations, independent companies and artists and the Presenter organisations listed above will be asked to invite five members from their audience databases to take part.
The Consultant will be responsible for coordinating broad based sector representation for these focus groups.